Digital Competency and the diagnosis of it is complex.


So I spent some time looking at the DigComp framework and I realised that the issue with Digital Competency and the definitions of the different levels of competencies and I cannot help but feel like the whole issue is quite complex. It is almost like learning a whole new language in order to communicate in a new country.

For the purpose of ease of reference, I have pasted the link to the document here:

https://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/handle/JRC106281


So I think about my own father and my parents in law. In laws are older but definitely more digitally competent than my father. My mother is somewhere in between. So I think to myself, that age is not a good predictor. Perhaps, the ability to navigate is for sure like David White's description of native vs visitor. And by form and function, because one is forced to use it (like my children since they had to be schooled on home-based learning during COVID-19 stay home measures), they are forced to learn about it. Age does however give one a sense of how fast someone picks up a new digital competency skill. As such, one of the easiest way to phenotype learners is to first look at their age. However, we should not assume that younger = native, and thus it is important to give all learners an understanding and a practice of platforms intended for use during the sessions. At the same time, the older the cohort, the simpler we have to keep the tools as they will require a higher level of competency as described above. Perhaps, a simple survey in addition to age, on whether the attendees haev their own blogs / instagram, how prolific they are about posting could give further insights. 

Food for thought.

Comments

  1. Age and digital literacy - Very interesting point! I'm actually amazed at how much my parents in their 70s still learned about the internet and how well they are able to use WhatsApp and their Ipad. I think, with older people it is a lot about staying connected with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think that people choose according to their willingness to learn! My dad just cannot pick up those skills no matter how many time we teach him to connect to zoom himself!

      Delete
  2. Well done, Doreen. I have really enjoyed your post. It gives food for thought. Live and learn - probably that is the answer for digital competency development. What is more, it is rather difficult not to refer to the words of Albert Einstein, "The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting thoughts! Can we age digitally and how is learning and living related? Looking forward to reading more blogposts. Viveca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

At the end of ONL221 (Topic 5) - MY REFLECTIONS